Quoted From A Fellow Traveler:

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I Hear The Train A Comin!

We decided to hang around and relax today. Joyce made some more treats for Mac and I'll tell you that they really smell good when they come out of the oven.
The sun is just coming up and the mountains are visible through the morning dew from the Salton.
The White Pelicans take flight early each morning, then return in the early evening. It amazes me how far they can glide, and how close they get to the water without touching.

As we sat enjoying the hot sun and the cool breeze, Joyce works on her blanket. This is something that she has been wanting to do for the last few days.

Train tracks are located about 100 yards from us and during the day, long freight trains pass by. I love watching the trains as they haul their freight of double stacked trailers. My love for trains goes all the way back to when I was a kid. My father was an Engineer on the rail road and I would occasionally get to go to work with him. This meant that I got to ride up in the engine and blow the whistle at some of the crossings.

Sometimes I was able to bring a friend along with me but he had to pretend to be my brother. Dad would have been in deep trouble if they found out that he was bringing kids onto the engine during work hours.

If you're wondering, the trains I rode with dad had diesel/electric engines, although I did see an old steam engine in the roundhouse in Providence.

So I watch the trains and think of my father and those special moments.

No comments: